Skip to the good stuff!


ISO: Multograph?

From the Contact form: 

Are you aware of a printing device called a “multograph”? I know about the multigraph (invented in 1902), but I’ve also seen newspapers from the early 20th century refer to a “multograph.” Is that the same device, perhaps in an alternate or simply incorrect (mis)spelling?

My reason for asking: I’m researching a Mark Twain story from 1905, and he refers to a “multograph.” I’m trying to determine whether he is inventing a device—the story is fantastical and whimsical–or whether he is referring (by an alternate name) to the recently invented multigraph.

Any ideas or assistance would be much appreciated!  —Ben Murphy