Printing History Book Review Policies
- Each issue of Printing History will contain 2–3 book reviews with a 1200-1500 word length.
- Each issue of Printing History will also contain brief reviews (100-250 words) of up to five books.
- Reviews will be in English. In exceptional circumstances, if a book is not translated into English, Printing History will consider publishing a review written in the language of the book.
- Reviewed books should be no more than five years from their original publication date; preference will be given to books within two years of their publication date.
- Books written or published by APHA members will receive first consideration, but books do not have to have an APHA connection.
- Reviewers will only review physical books. In the case of print-on-demand books, the publisher should issue a physical copy to APHA for it to be considered for review. If a book is only being issued as an eBook, the editors will consider reviewing it under exceptional circumstances.
- The book review editor/s will retain final decisions about which books will be reviewed and who will review them. The editors can seek guidance from the publication or advisory committees or the Vice President for Publications from time to time as needed.
- The names of reviewers will not be released to the author or publisher or any other entity by the editors, the Vice President for Publications, or any representative of APHA prior to the review appearing
- The editors will give first consideration to APHA members as reviewers for the books.
- Reviewers will have four months to write the review.
- Reviewers will submit a 50-word bio along with their review.
- Reviewers will receive a copy of the physical book under review and will retain that copy except in exceptional circumstances, such as a very limited edition or a particularly costly book, in which case the book will be returned to the original owner.
- PH will have first publication rights to the review. Reviewers will retain copyright of their reviews but may not re-publish the review in any form, including electronic form, for two calendar years following publication in Printing History without specific permission from APHA. Should APHA want to reprint or republish the review in any form, including electronic, permission will be sought from the reviewer.
- All reviews will be edited for length and clarity by the book review editor and will be further edited by the Printing History copy editor. Reviewers will be given the opportunity to review and approve the initial editing. Printing History reserves the right of final approval of the review.
- If reviewers have questions about the book under review, they should address them to the book review editors, who will follow up as needed with the author or publisher. Under no circumstances should the reviewer be directly in touch with the author and/or publisher of the book under review.
- Reviewers will not be compensated for their reviews except with a copy of the book [see exceptions above].
- Reviewers will receive guidelines, including review length, preferred bibliographic format, and reviewer profile information. In the case of books that need to be returned, reviewers will be compensated for any shipping charges they incur.
- Printing History adheres to the grammatical guidelines of the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Reviewers should precede their reviews with Printing History’s book listing protocol:
Corinna Eltman, Ink Under the Fingernails: Printing Politics in Nineteenth-Century Mexico. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2021. ISBN 9780520975477. Illustrations, bibliography and index. 350 pp. Hardcover $85.00. Paperback $34.95. eBook $34.95.
- Reviewers may receive up to three copies of the Printing History issue in which their review appears upon request.
Authors and Publishers
- Books to be considered for review should be mailed to the Book Review Editor. These books will become the property of the book reviewer except in exceptional cases such as a very limited edition or a particularly costly book. To qualify for a review, Printing History must receive a physical copy of the book, including a print-on-demand book if the book is published in that form.
- Please send a high-resolution (300 dpi) image of the book cover when submitting the book for review. By submitting the photo, the publisher or author is granting permission for Printing History to include the image as part of the review.
- Reviewers and authors who are uncertain about the suitability of their book for review should contact the Book Review Editor before sending the book.
- In general, once books are received by the Book Review Editor, those books will not be returned, even if they are not reviewed unless by prior arrangement.
- The Book Review Editors and other members of the Publications Committees and Advisory Boards will make every effort to ensure the accurate reflection of the book under review. The Book Review Editor/s, Publications Committee, Vice President for Publications, and others related to the APHA organization will not be responsible for errors or perceived errors made by the book reviewer. In cases where accuracy has been bridged, Printing History will undertake to print a correction in a subsequent issue when and if possible.